Wednesday 18 August 2010

Wordy Wednesday

Well, I don't know where to begin, or how, even, to thank you all for your support for my human and our household. Never in a million years did I dream I'd get that response when I asked for your thoughts to be with us. When the human read the comments this morning, her eyes got so, so leaky. Even her nose got stuffy she was leaking so hard. I was awfully worried for a little while, but I'm getting used to their runny eyes now. Maybe the human and peoples don't get sick the same way as cats do when their eyes run.



The peoples from Guide Dogs came today to look at Molly. They didn't really do a lot other than make the talk noise with the human. She told them all the bad things the dog was doing while I strutted around and looked pretty. This wasn't easy. Molly went into overdrive with the excitability and was bouncing about all over the place, but the peoples did comment that I looked very cute when I went to the middle of the floor, miaowed loudly (to get their attention, you understand), then rolled over on my back and tucked my paws right in. I know I'm cute, but it's nice of them to say so. They are stupider than the human, though. She knows cutiful. They don't.



They talked for a long time, and in the end, they left, but left Molly behind. The human has two days to think about things. Guide Dogs are strongly recommending that the human gives her up, and they're almost sure that Molly would be retired from service, but they're not 100%. My human's best friend will take her if she retires, so she told them her decision would be much easier if she knew that could happen. This way, she can still see Molly and know that she's happy. The peoples said they would go away and talk with a manager, whatever that is, and would phone her on Friday to tell her. So we're still in limbo, but we are a bit more settled because we still have Molly with us. The human has almost made up her mind that if they'll let her retire, she'll give her up, but if they're talking about retraining her and giving her to someone else, she will probably keep her and work very hard and bravely to overcome her fears. She's not looking forward to this, but really doesn't want the dog going somewhere that she doesn't know.



I'll try to answer some of the comments that were left yesterday, as there were some really good suggestions which, sadly, the human has already tried. She's put my food up high ages ago, but the dog has learned to climb to get it now, and yesterday morning, in fact, she did it while the human was in the room (she usually waits until she's alone to thieve). She doesn't have any health problems. Guide dogs are checked by the vet (I can say his name because he's a nice man who offered my human seeds to gro fresh catnip brought all the way from his garden in Spain! We both like him) every six months, but as Molly has a skin condition, she goes every month. They always do a full exam, and they know she has no injuries or joint problems. As far as the house settling, we've been here for months, and the other little cat, Anna, was here for almost a year. Molly is very used to us, and her behaviour didn't change in the slightest when we came. This aggression is a very, very new thing, and food stealing is very, very old. It's been going on since the human got her. Molly's issues are long-standing. Guide Dogs considered retiring her three years ago, the human says, but she asked them to give her a chance to work them through as she loved the dog. Silly of her really, to love something that isn't a cat, but Molly's all right, from a distance. She smells too doggy to get very close to.



Ming, dogs are much more than just belly rubs and paws. They stink, they shout really noisily, they lick a lot, and worst of all, they eat my food! I tolerate this one because the human likes her and she pretty much leaves me alone.



Mummycat was off her food kind of ever since the human brought her home. She's just never settled, but it was when she stopped eating unless someone was in there with her that the human worried. It was Ok until the amount she was eating was dropping too. Then it was time for mummycat to go to the vet man too, except that it was a lady for her. I don't know if I like her. I haven't decided yet.



We've tried putting the food in a box, but I don't like eating in there, and Molly just claws it to pieces when the human isn't around to stop her. I don't like it because I can't see anything except box when I'm eating, and that worries me enough that I don't eat as much. The human doesn't want me getting too thin, and it wasn't working anyway, so we stopped. She also tried putting it behind the sofa, but the dog just barged that out of the way, wriggled in and ate all of my food! I find it hard to think she's all right when she does this. After all, I don't eat her stinky dog food, do I?



The human says that currently, there are 20 peoples on the waiting list for guide dogs in our area alone. Ten of those are priority like she would be, meaning they need a dog, and they need it fast. Only problem is though, they have to find the right dog for each people, and that takes a while. Given that my human needs a very, very specific behavioural type, even the peoples today said it would take time to find one. If she got a dog when she should, without problems, given that they get a maximum of six dogs to train every three months, if they had full classes each time, my human would still, at best, end up waiting nine months. Realistically though, it's going to be longer. It took them two years to find Molly, and even she was only half suitable.



The human has used Feliway before and hasn't noticed that it makes any difference at all. She's been spraying in mummycat's room anyway, but there's been no change. The apetite stimulant does appear to be starting to work, mind you, so she's relieved about that. Her ears aren't sore from grooming. She scratched it too hard at one point, and the human thinks it might have bled. The vet checked them and said there's no infection and no ear mites, so just to leave it for a while and see if it settles. It appears to be doing that.



Thank you, thank you, thank you so much to all of you. Even though the human had runny eyes, she said they were happy runny eyes because she saw how much peoples cared. All of the purrs have been so appreciated.



I've stayed very, very close to my human all day. She seems surprised about that, but I don't know why. I'm a responsible cat, and I care for her happiness. I could tell she was upset, so I haven't been far from her side all day. I'm a cuddler, yes, but I'll usually cuddle for a bit, then flop on the sofa beside her. not today though. I sat on her, lay on her, slept on her, even slept on the arm of the sofa rather than the cushion so that I could be right by her face. She says she's not used to having someone who's in tune with her emotions like that. No wonder, if she's only had the dog for all this time. Well, human, things are going to change, whether you want them to or not. Let's hope that the old saying stands true. "A change is as good as a rest". We all know how much cats love rest! Change must be great then. Come on, change. We're ready for you, even if it does mean we have to fight a bit to feel happy again. These paws were made for fightin'!


Once again, much love and purrs to you all. you made my human feel a bit better, and for that, I am in your debt.

5 comments:

Everycat said...

We're all glad that you have been looking after your human Mum Tia. You keep it up and soon she will feel much better.

Whicky Wuudler

Jans Funny Farm said...

We understand about a dog climbing to get cat food. We have one of those here. Once he even moved a chair from the table to a counter. Fortunately, he's too big to do that now but he sure can counter surf.

We know you will make the decision you believe is best for you and the dog. It isn't easy, we know. Purrs and tail wags.

The Lee County Clowder said...

Probably not much of a suggestion, but has your Mum tried putting your food in a big cage rather than the box? At least Molly would have trouble tearing that apart, and you could see what was going on around you. Whether you would like to go to jail every time you decided to eat, you would have to decide. (WE probably wouldn't like it very much)

Is there a room with a stout door? Maybe your Mum could keep your food in a closet or spare room, with a cat door so you could get to it.

We suspect neither idea is very practical, but they're all we've thought of so far.

Sending calming purrrrss and hopefull purrrrayers that this works out fine for every critter.

Ikaika said...

We are continuing to send purrs that everything will work out well for all concerned. Keep taking good care of your human, Tia. You are, indeed, a very responsible kitty!

Amy & the house of cats said...

Hi Tia, we came over from the cat blogosphere to meet you and your mom. We are sorry she is having so many troubles right now. We think that the cage idea is great - or maybe a gate. They have them with openings small enough for a cat but too big for a dog that she could try. We send over lots of purrs and prayers for you and your human, and Molly too. It sounds like you are all having a rough time, and we hope it gets better.