Wednesday 3 November 2010

Tia Today

I spoke with the vet this morning about Tia's progress, and thankfully, it's looking up. They didn't need to put her on fluids this time. She's eating and is maintaining her own hydration. Her temperature is also going down which is super news. I think they're still going to test for Giardia, and myself, my friend and Molly are all going to be treated for it just in case. The saga doesn't stop though.


This morning, Molly had a poo. Nothing unusual in that except that it was soft and runny. I was worried, but not overly. It's not unheard of for her to have runny poo. When I got to work though, she vomited. Now if there'd been something in her puke I'd have attributed it to her eating something she shouldn't have, but as it was nothing but liquid, just as Tia's was, I was now worried. To make matters worse, my clinical nurse manager, when he heard that I was showing some symptoms that hadn't cleared up yet, sent me home and told me not to come back. I can't go into work until two days after the last symptom has cleared, so that means that I'm off until Monday at the very earliest.


They had a look at Molly in the vets and thought that she was, on the whole, pretty Ok, but bearing in mind the signs and the similarity to Tia, I begged them to give me the Giardia treatment. As it's also a routine wormer and she was due one, they agreed because it won't do her any harm, and may well do some good. I have a doctor's appointment at 10 on Friday morning to have my own human treatment.


Tia, if all goes well, will come home tomorrow. I can't say that I'm not nervous about it. I'm terrified. She was home before and she was bad then. I don't know if I have the emotional energy to go through that again. This time though, if she comes home and sh'es fine, then gets bad when she's here, I'll be forced to accept that something in the house doesn't agree with her. What that something is though, I don't know. Please folks, fingers and paws crossed that she's on the way up now, that she's turned that corner for good. I don't want another turn!


I thought I knew about death. My grandad has died. So has my auntie, and I thought I had accepted the fact that my grandmother was going too. But I've fully realised now as an adult how brutal that gossamer touch is. That has drained me perhaps more than anything else. Molly's loss is different. I'll know that she's still alive, that I can still see her even if it isn't that often, and when she finally does leave this world, it won't be the same either. She won't have lived with me for a good long while. The loss will still hurt, but it won't be as acute. Tia really brought home to me just how hard it is going to be to deal with loss when it happens to someone you live with. It has changed my perspective on life in some way, a way I can't even define. I don't know what affect this will have, but I suspect that in the short term, it is going to make me live stronger, love harder and be even more thankful for even the small things I have. What does it matter when you haven't had a good day? At least your loved ones are still there to hear you say it. It really puts things into perspective.


I'm rambling and I know it. Let me finish by thanking you all again. From my mum who offered to put her lifetime experience of a year's travelling off to come home and be a shoulder to cry on, to every single one of you who have never even met me, but parted with hard earned money to support a furbaby you've only seen in pictures and words. Isn't it incredible that a life was saved by people who'd never even met her? That blows me away when I think of it. Words do not do me justice here. I can't find the right ones. Know however that you have saved me from, well, from I don't really know what, but it felt like I was on an emotional edge. If I'd fallen over, I don't know how long it would have taken me to come back. You gave me more than money, more than well wishes and support. You gave me the strength not to fall over the lip. You cannot put a price on that, and I won't cheapen the incredible gift by trying inadequate words. Let me simply say a heart felt thank you.

10 comments:

Sweet Purrfections said...

So glad to hear that Tia is doing better, but sorry to hear that Molly and you aren't. Keeping my paws crossed for all of you.

Kea said...

We're crossing our paws and purring hard for Tia, Molly and you!

Our human mom knows all about emotional edges, has been over and dropped into a black pit many times. So she understands!

Lots of (((hugs))) and Light!

Hannah and Lucy said...

We are going to mention Tia in our purrayers tonight. Luv from Hannah and Lucy xx xx

We hope that you are going to feel better tomorrow too.

Amy & the house of cats said...

Well, we are glad to hear the good news about Tia feeling better but are sad that the rest of you are getting sick. We are still sending over tons of purrs and prayers for all of you to be well. Hopefully the test on her will give an indication of what she has so she can be 100%.

And I understand what you mean about loss, especially of our fur babies. Floyd's loss last year really hit me so hard it was surprising (and I had lost both my grandparents and parents by that point). I know for me that part of it is that I fear they may not understand and there is no real way to explain what is going on to them. That and having them with you every day - it is a very big loss. And the cat blogosphere is really a wonderful support system at these times. And I swear it hits me almost as hard when one of our blog friends is sick or well, worse. We come to care about these internet friends and we know how hard it is for their families, it just is tough. And since we do all know how hard it is, we all know how much the support means too. So know we are all here for you and we are all purring and praying for you ALL to get better!

Torie said...

I'm not sure if i posted, but i mustn't have lol.

I'm glad that Tia is getting better, but don't understand how you have got the bug too. Is it transmitted to humans then? I hope things begin to improve, and give Molly and Tia a hug.

I hope Molly doesn't have to go into the vets though.

Take care, xxxx. Your blog is great although it made me want to cuddle and love Ushi all the more last night. I just had to give her extra attention after reading. Xxx.

Sparkle said...

You are in our thoughts and we are purring lots for all of you!

Jans Funny Farm said...

It's a tough time you're going through and we are hopeful things will turn for the better soon! Purrs and tail wags.

Marg said...

Well that is a start that she is a little better. Just think positive, that she will be fine when she gets home. Sorry to hear that Molly is a little sick too but hopefully all of you will be well very soon. We gots all our paws crossed for you and sending tons of purrs and prayers. Hugs to Mom.

The Lee County Clowder said...

If everyone who is staying there has the same bug, the drinking water strikes us as a possible culprit.

Have there been changes in your water? We're guessing that you all are on city (municipal) water, have there been any problems on their end?

Purrrrring that everyone recovers quickly from whatever it is.

Karen Jo said...

I am glad that Tia is getting better, but sad that you and Molly have symptoms. I hope and pray that everyone will be completely recovered soon. Herman sends his best healing purrs.